Thursday, January 11, 2007

Reflections on the 71/2 habits

This is my post for exercises #1 & 2:
As I reflect on my lifelong learning skills, one area that I believe I have some strength is related to my interest in wide range of topics. As a reference librarian, I truly enjoy learning new facts, concepts and information. In short, I'm an information nut! Things related to cultures, the arts, and nature have a strong interest and they are topics that I have considerable motivation. The one area that I am not particulary strong in is setting aside dedicated segments of time and not being distracted and interupted. I hope to increase my lifelong learning abilities and I'm sure the new technologies will be a vital part of this process.

I have completed excercises #3-5 and I have established a Flickr.com account and have posted some photos. I am amazed at the range and quality of photos that are available through Flickr. I have used Google's Image finder for photos and images quite a bit for posters and handouts. Without a doubt, Flickr is going to be part of my future photo searching.

# 6 (Week 3) - I am very impressed with the variety and debth of the Flickr mashups and 3rd party sites. I particularily like Jim Bumgardner's remarkable Colr Pickr. It is a real work of art! I was also intrigued with the Flickr Grpah by Marcos Weskamp. This is a very intriguing techology although my PC start to make weird sounds as it was trying to keep of with the images that were being downloaded. They site is very dynamic and entertaining as the graphic patterns are displayed. I also enjoyed exploring the Trip Planner by Yahoo! Travel. This is a very useful site for any travel planning.
#7 - I would like to relate my experience as a part of the ALA's first annual Teen Tech week to be observed Mar. 4-10, 2007 in San Jose. Here at the Almaden Branch (part of the San Jose Public Library) we hosted the Tech Museum of Innovation, San Jose for the system wide Teen Tech event. They have considerable experience in relating to teens and they have the resources to put together a stimulating and interactive tech program. They had several hands on experiemts and object lessons for the teens. We had 26 students attend (some were pre-teens) and the Tech Museum staff were impressed by the interest and enthusiasm of the attendees. On Friday, March 9th, we had 40 teens attend our Teen Tech Week GameFest. We had on-line games for 13 participants, Playstation 2's Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution and some traditional board games. It was a very successful and fun time for our teens. I'm sure we'll want to be part of Teen Tech Week in the coming years.

2 comments:

Christine Holmes said...

Hi,

The Virtual Services team likes your enthusiasm!

Gothmom said...

Good to see you blogging Oboe Lover!