Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The remarkable journey through S.J. Library Learning 2.0

#8 (Week 4) - This was quite an adventure ... the concept of the RSS feeds and the Bloglines site in particular is very powerful and potentially time-saving. I set it up so that I could keep tabs on the weather forecasts for my hometown (Capitola) and I am sending news feeds to my account (based on my zip code). The Feed Me tutorial was well structured and very helpful. This technology has many powerful tools and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better as I try out the various features of the site.
#9 - I checked out a number of the news feeds and I found Topix.net particularly helpful and relevant to my library related inquiries. I did get some useful hits using Feedster, Technorati and Syndica8. It was interesting to see the various types of information and the breath of topics that can be found utilizing these sources. I haven’t quite determined how you evaluate the accuracy and validity of some of the sites posted, but I do see this as a valuable tool for information gathering.
#10 - The various image generators were pretty amazing. I really had fun with the Comic Strip Generator. The Fd Toys and Image Chef have both have useful features. So far I haven't been able to cut and paste any of my creations to my blog but I'll keep on trying (or better yet, get some help).
#11 - I checked out a few of the sites listed on the short list of Web 2.0 but the one I spent considerable time with was "Last.fm" ... this is a very interesting site for a musician. My interest is mainly in classical music (oboe music of course) and they do have some interesting biographies on classical composers and selections of their best know works available for listening. A very interesting feature of this site is that you can check the listening records of those currently on the web and listen to what they have heard. This is a unique way one can expand his/her musical tastes and gain greater appreciation of music from diverse cultural traditions. There is a huge amount of very interesting ethnic, innovative, cutting edge music. There are many vocal and instrumental selections to choose from.
#12 - I really like Rollyo. This is a fascinating and very fun site to interact with. I set up two search rolls "News-Are-Us" and "REFERENCE IS MY GAME." With these two sites I can do pretty comprehensive current news and politics searching and then on the second one, general and some specific reference inquiries. To fashion these search rolls, I used some of the existing rolls as a guide and then I modified them with sites that I thought would give additional debth to my searches. This is a highly recommended tool.